1.3 million tons
of iron created annually
- Design a greenfield metallurgical coke-making facility complete with a power island for SunCoke Energy.
- Meet strict environmental regulations while maximizing coke production and improving economics through the generation of electricity from waste heat.
- Develop an optimized plant layout within the small available footprint.
- Reduce project costs in the midst of a volatile global market.
- Working closely with SunCoke, we developed an integrated plant design that maximizes production of its main saleable product while generating a consistent revenue stream from electricity generation.
- A stream of generated energy that was not being used to produce revenue was leveraged. Grid interconnection options across state lines were identified, and a power island was developed to produce clean electricity to sell to the grid.
- To maximize the plant's availability, the system was designed to be equipped with redundancy. Three 50-per-cent heat-recovery steam generators and a flue gas system were included, allowing online maintenance of all downstream equipment.
- We designed the downstream flue-gas cleaning system with circulating dry scrubbers (2 x 100%) to minimize environmental emissions. The overall impact to the plant water balance was also assessed to reduce plant discharge.
- Optimized the plant footprint to save costs
- Developed a new damper design and configuration for hot gas ductwork
- Developed a material handling layout for efficient coal handling and sampling
- Minimized plant emissions stipulated by US EPA MACT standards
“Hatch has a high degree of customer satisfaction at all levels of SunCoke; Hatch continues to work and provide ideas across the board with B.D. Engineering & Projects and senior management, presenting several strategic ideas for SunCoke’s business. Each level of Hatch’s team presents strong management skills.”
Project numbers120 coke ovens produce 660,000 tons per annum of metallurgical coke.
3 x 50% heat-recovery steam generators and one steam turbine produce up to 82 MW of electricity to sell to the grid.
Designed for 700,000 lb/hr of flue gas at 2,200°F and producing 1,200 psig steam at 930°F—enough coke to make about 1.3 million tons of iron annually. (The entire Golden Gate Bridge weighs less than 900,000 tons.)
What's your challenge?